Tuesday 13 September 2011

Changing time at the zoo



My wife and I took our two year old boy to Twycross zoo today, and we had a great time. 

Though I suspect some parents may not have done, and it is all down to a bit of [missing] common sense.

Here's a photo of the changing facilities, could do with a bit of padding for the child to lie on, but not a disaster.


I cleansed the changing surface using the spray mounted on the right-hand wall then lay my son down - choice of head on the ceramic sink or feet on the sink. I chose the feet on the sink option.

After watching me use the spray to clean the surface his first reaction was to press the sprayer (a fairly understandable bit of curiosity for a two year old) which was directly above his head - fortunately I got there just in time to prevent him squirting the detergent. Otherwise he'd have had a couple of eyes filled with surface cleaner!

Now maybe I could have thought a bit more about additional hazards, but also by designing out the risk flustered parents may have one less thing to fret about? I imagine that around 50% of parents must initially put their child down that way?
I wonder if anyone tested the new facility with a doll or baby? A detergent above a child's eyes doesn't sound a great idea?!

Let's see if the feedback I left will get someone to move the sprayer!



No comments:

Post a Comment